Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Range Management Apps

Image result for pasturemap logo                                       


Last week the boss man sprung for some new iPads for agents in the Southeast Area.  After getting over the initial shock of how cool they are, I set about finding ways to utilize the machine to do more than just check my Facebook.  As luck would have it, our Range Management Team had some recommendations on their website!

The first app I downloaded was the Pasture Map's free version app.  This app proved very useful the first day.  I was able to take it to the rancher's home and map out his pasture's with no service, which for Eastern Colorado is a must!  After mapping out the pastures, you can then add different herds you may have, then plan out a grazing plan.  It will keep track of that data so that next year you can switch things up to better utilize your forages.  This is also a great tool for people like me who can't remember what I did after I've slept much less year to year grazing strategies.

I found this app very user friendly and there is an upgrade which does cost money.  Since I'm all about free, I probably won't be looking into it anytime soon.

The second app I downloaded was the Cow Poop Analyzer app.  With the Cow Poop Analyzer app, you take a picture of a manure pile, and then compare your picture to file photos. Each file photo comes with an estimate for the crude protein and digestibility you can expect from your forage based on the quality of the manure. Even better, you can add a title and pasture name to the automatically dated record. Then you’ll have a history of forage quality in your pastures over time.

Remember it is just an estimate, but really should prove very useful and get you thinking about watching your manure for range management and feeding decisions. 

Watch for future app recommendations on our blog as I keep playing with my new toy!


No comments:

Post a Comment